Japanese Tea Garden Pagoda
Located in Golden Gate Park, the Japanese Tea Garden Pagoda is a five-tiered wooden Buddhist shrine that rests on a concrete podium. Originally built as a temporary display inside the Palace of Food Products at the 1915 Panama Pacific Exposition, it was moved to the Tea Garden in early 1916 and relocated to its current home in 1943.
ARG conducted a condition assessment and finishes analysis, prepared construction documents, and is overseeing its restoration. ARG’s treatment recommendations included stabilization of the structure, replacement of deteriorated wood elements and roof shingles in-kind, and new paint finishes matching existing color scheme.
Photography by Architectural Resources Group