Architectural Historian / Historic Preservation Planner – Los Angeles
Architectural Resources Group (ARG) is a full-service architectural and historic preservation planning firm with offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Portland. The firm seeks an Architectural Historian / Preservation Planner with a strong background in the fields of Architectural History and Historic Preservation Planning to join their Los Angeles office. This position requires an individual with a Master’s Degree in Historic Preservation or closely related field from an accredited institution. Ideally, the candidate should have one-to-two years of post-graduate school work experience in a similar position(s). The candidate should meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualifications Standards in Architectural History.
Applicants should possess the following skills, interests or experience:
- good communication skills and ability to work both independently and collaboratively;
- the ability and desire to take on a wide variety of tasks, large and small;
- outstanding research, writing, proofreading and editing skills;
- experience with historic resource survey projects;
- experience evaluating and documenting the significance of historic resources for potential local, state, and national eligibility;
- background in American History, specifically California and the West, as well as familiarity with architectural styles prevalent in California; and
- literacy in computer programs of the basic MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
The following skills are desired but not essential:
- proficiency with GIS;
- proficiency with the Adobe creative suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator;
- recent experience with Federal Tax Credit Certification projects;
- experience with environmental review under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA); and
- experience with or willingness to learn Access database development and/or experience with cultural resource documentation databases such as RuskinArc, Arches, and others.
ARG’s Los Angeles office of 15 architects, planners/historians, and conservators offers a dynamic, energetic, collegial, and collaborative work environment. We are located in the vibrant Little Tokyo neighborhood of Downtown Los Angeles, near multiple modes of public transportation. This is a full-time position, eligible for ARG’s competitive benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Submit letter of interest, resume, three professional references, and one writing sample to [email protected], with “Los Angeles Planner Position” in the subject line.