Architectural Historian / Historic Preservation Planner
Architectural Resources Group (ARG) is a full-service architectural and historic preservation planning firm with offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Portland. The firm seeks an experienced Architectural Historian / Preservation Planner with a strong background in the fields of Architectural History and Historic Preservation Planning to join their Los Angeles office. This position requires an individual with a Master’s Degree in Historic Preservation or closely related field from an accredited institution. Ideally, the candidate should have two to four years of post-graduate school work experience in a similar position(s). The candidate should meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualifications Standards in Architectural History.
Applicants should possess the following skills, interests or experience:
- good communication skills and ability to work both independently and collaboratively;
- the ability and desire to take on a wide variety of tasks, large and small;
- outstanding research, writing, proofreading, and editing skills;
- experience with historic resource survey projects;
- experience evaluating and documenting the significance of historic resources for potential local, state, and national eligibility;
- background in American History, specifically California and the West, as well as familiarity with architectural styles prevalent in California;
- interest in urban design in historic settings; and
- literacy in computer programs of the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access)
The following skills are desired but not essential:
- proficiency with GIS;
- proficiency with the Adobe creative suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator;
- recent experience with Federal Tax Credit Certification projects;
- experience with environmental review including Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, NEPA and CEQA;
- ability to present project findings in a public setting; and
- academic background in and/or experience with architectural materials conservation.
ARG’s Los Angeles office of 14 architects, planners/historians, and conservators offers a dynamic, energetic, and collaborative work environment. We are currently located in Pasadena but will be relocating to the Little Tokyo section of Downtown Los Angeles, near multiple modes of public transportation, on June 1, 2018. This is a full-time position, eligible for ARG’s competitive benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Submit letter of interest, resume, three professional references, and one writing sample to email@example.com, with “Los Angeles Planner Position” in the subject line.
We recognize the value of providing opportunities at all different levels and are committed to investing in our future talent. Though internship opportunities vary from year to year, ARG regularly hosts undergraduate- and graduate-level interns enrolled in architecture, architectural history, historic preservation, and conservation programs. If you are interested in an internship with Architectural Resources Group, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.